Why UVa Biomedical Engineering?
Highly integrative curriculum: Merges human biology with laboratory and clinical perspectives, a solid engineering education with depth in a complementary field, and product and experimental design throughout all four years.
100% are engaged in biomedical research and design. Early access to research, internships, and global health experiences ensures that UVa BME majors can compete for top graduate and medical schools admissions and jobs in bioengineering industry, biopharmaceuticals, consulting and government positions.
ABET recently cited BME’s true dual culture in engineering and medicine, which is almost unique to UVa, as one of our particular program strengths. We are the only undergraduate program in the nation that is so closely aligned with a School of Medicine. There is an increasing trend towards independent biomedical device design projects, paralleling our very active and successful undergraduate research program.
- UVa’s highest ranked science or engineering program
- accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. See this page for program objectives, student outcomes, and graduation data.
- 21 faculty, 300 majors, 75 graduate students
- BS, ME, MS, and PhD degrees
- BME Minor and joint program in Nanomedicine